The Foursquare Church in Decatur had its beginning in February 1931. It started in a store front on N. Water in a former indoor miniature golf. That same year, a “tin tabernacle” was erected at 321 E. Leafland Ave where they were able to seat 400 people on the backless wooden benches. They had two stoves, one in the front and one in the back and the floors were of sawdust. Yes, humble beginnings, but our God has been the same through the years.In 1947, the tin tabernacle was torn down in order for the men of the church to build a new brick building. (During the building of the structure, the church met at Roosevelt Junior High School). In 1953, A Christian Education building was built and in 1958, the two structures were joined and the new sanctuary was able to seat 1600. Then we moved into our current location on Christmas Eve of 2005.
Those are the physical facts, but we are so thankful to the Lord that we have been able to partner in seeing God’s kingdom established here, in the United States and around the world.
Locally, we have been faithful to our calling of reaching people with the love of Jesus for 80 years. We have sent out leaders, pastors, and missionaries. We have had the opportunity to provide outreach locally through events, helping charities and providing Christian television for Central Illinois. We have had the joy of planting several churches and have invested many resources in foreign missions. Our plan is to continue this calling to reach people with the love of Jesus Christ until He returns and our work is completed.